Development Recap January Recap, and plans for upcoming year

Brendan

Staff member
Community Manager
Developer
Donator
Aug 18, 2017
Howdy Everyone,
Hope you all had a great holiday while we’re back in full swing!
This year we hope will be a big year for Nekrova and the project.

We’re currently aiming to try and complete our social space (107 Central) so you guys and girls will have something tangible to play that’s more closely to our vision of the project.

We will also have monthly team meetings the last Sunday of every month.
Another aim is to push more updates each month to you guys with Patreon updates coming out twice a month and the regular big update at the end of each month.

We'd also like to have a dev Fridays during the month where some Fridays you'll see content posted of what we've been working on before the big update at the end of the month but this won't be as consistent as the regular monthly updates.

Now without further delay, here is the amazing work once again from the Nekrova team from this month alone!

107 Central Updates
107 Central is the social space that we've been working on and we started working on modelling the world and also some of the objects to be included in the world.
Here we have a skatepark that our talented 3d artist Darky has been working on.
Note that this is still a work in progress:

While darky’s been focusing on the big elements, our local wizard Ameer has been making smaller props for the new social space:

There will be more to come for 107 Central as we head farther into 2018 so keep a lookout for the next update!
2D Art Concepts
With a skatepark comes graffiti and our local graffiti expert Kitpashka has been hard at work making some awesome custom graffiti for the skatepark:

We'll release more soon as our artists continue to design and make more awesome stuff for you guys to enjoy.

Luna Hijack
Hey there boys and girls, Luna here.
Taking a moment to hijack Brendan’s news update to add some extra context to this month’s update.

As some of you may (or may not) know, I enjoy pulling back the curtains of game development and show the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, as its not all pixie dust and furies running the show.

So, during this hijack I’ll talk about Phoenix’s art direction and art style, as this was a prominent topic during our last staff meeting.

As you all are probably aware by now, the game will NOT have the same art style APB, or to that extend GTA have. But, I have never really gone into the topic deeply, so I’ll explain my stance on the matter as ‘Lead Director’.

To start off, the shift in art style is centred around the concept of energy and culture.
My personal vision, for the city the game takes place in, is this big, vibrant city where cultures (and people) clash, mingle and mix together.
A city that’s filled with energy during the day and unleashes its true nature at night.

As such, the art style is a mix of several styles, mixing elements of punk, with neon and cyber-punk (minus the futuristic elements) which will allow us to add a lot of energy and dynamic to the game.

So, we’ll be exploring this kind of style more and more as this would allow us to make something that looks visually stunning without having to sacrifice quality.

Another big point for this style choice is the fact that making content will be relatively easier, as we’re removing the concept of realism and being “Realistic”.
What this means is that when you have a more realistic style, let’s say CS:GO or GTA, you’ll be put under much higher scrutiny for issues, and making an element that’s less realistic, will often pull a player out of the experience, as it mismatches the style of everything else. (e.g. uncanny valley)
Anyway, I’m seeing that I’ve rambled on about art style for about a full page now, and Brandan is looking at me angrily for stealing away his news update, so I’ll continue this during our “Dev Fridays” portion where I will discuss the concept of socializing and roleplay.

Love you guys and gals,
-Luna

Vehicle Modeling Updates
We have been working on modeling a modified Mustang that we think you guys will really like:

2018 will be a definitive year for Nekrova and we hope to accomplish a lot this year. Thank you guys for all of your support and donations and helping us bring this idea and game to life.

Be sure to follow us to stay informed on what progress we've made and what's next by following us on various social media outlets below.
Discord
Team Twitter
Team Twitch
Trello
Patreon
(If you don't like Patreon or only want to donate once, you can use PayPal to send it to [email protected] every tiny bit helps!)

See you next update!
Best Regards,
The Nekrova Team

Last edited:

koalathe_bear

Field Runner
Nov 17, 2017
I love these update!
I like how you guys are going to take the art style in its own direction separate from APB or GTA, but one thing that kinda concerns me is the "unrealistic part". Obviously it's too much work to make a game realistic as hell, the I'm only thing I'm hoping for with that description is that the game won't look cartoony like fortnite.

Keep up the good work guys!

Luna

Phoenix Lead Director
Staff member
Developer
Phoenix Lead Director
Programmer
Level Designer
Aug 14, 2017
I love these update!
I like how you guys are going to take the art style in its own direction separate from APB or GTA, but one thing that kinda concerns me is the "unrealistic part". Obviously it's too much work to make a game realistic as hell, the I'm only thing I'm hoping for with that description is that the game won't look cartoony like fortnite.

Keep up the good work guys!
With the realism, I mean less "Lets make things look exactly like they do in real life" or "lets use an dark gritty color pallet" and more "Lets make things bright and colorful, and less grounded in reality".
Think of those cyber punk scenes where things are pretty colorful and cool looking, despite it never really looking like that irl, ever.
Here's a collection of our reference images:
(Disclaimer, the following collection of images are not made by us, they are merely used as a reference point)

Variiuz

Developer
Programmer
Aug 21, 2017
Lets just hype 2018 ^-^! God it is awsome to see that. btw I would love to see that you use the Trello page for updates too( don't saw any new updates there. Dont know if there where an update since 7.12.2017 ^^) best for me to see changes would be there ^^

Yonotzu

Fresh Blood
Donator
Feb 2, 2018
I really like the graffiti Kitpashka has done! Is that about the overall size of 107 Central map or is there still a lot more to be added onto general map size? Looks amazing with what Darky has done so far ^_^

Darky™

Field Runner
Developer
3D Artist
Level Designer
Dec 8, 2017
I really like the graffiti Kitpashka has done! Is that about the overall size of 107 Central map or is there still a lot more to be added onto general map size? Looks amazing with what Darky has done so far ^_^
if you go to 2017's update you can see skate park in bottom left side of map . so its small portion of map

mattskoii

Field Runner
Aug 16, 2017
Can i just like uhh kiss you guys right now with these monthly's to have finally found a group who gives a crap lol xD. ps (no homo).

TzickyT

Staff member
Developer
Programmer
Sep 20, 2017
Looks like a good start modus also i see a lot of intresting stuff already published but i have stil a lot of questions that i wil wait to ask for now becous i think they wil be answered later in the couple of months in my opinion

Darky™

Field Runner
Developer
3D Artist
Level Designer
Dec 8, 2017
Looks like a good start modus also i see a lot of intresting stuff already published but i have stil a lot of questions that i wil wait to ask for now becous i think they wil be answered later in the couple of months in my opinion
you can ask questions on our official discord server you dont have to wait for months

TzickyT

Staff member
Developer
Programmer
Sep 20, 2017
you can ask questions on our official discord server you dont have to wait for months
atm the questions i had are clear but il figure out some questions in the near future