Phoenix Lead Director
Staff member
Developer
Phoenix Lead Director
Programmer
Level Designer
Aug 14, 2017
Good morning,
afternoon, or whatever time it is over there…
Hell some of you may be under 10 ft of snow, while others have a cosy 20c outside.

Regardless of all that, welcome to the October recap, also known as, “Luna rambling on for a good 3 paragraphs of text”

Before I start with this recap, I’d like to take a moment and point out the obvious, at the end there will be another block of text with me talking about myself, my personal situation, this project and stuff like that. I know, super boring stuff!

So if you don’t feel like reading that portion Tl.Dr; I’m thankful for all of you, including those that may not know that I know they’re lurking. Its been a wild ride so far.

1541965735216.png
Now, onto the team changes.

Ameer and Architect have been moved to the inactive position, this means that they’re still on the team, but they have their own things going on that they wish to focus on.

Aydhe has decided to leave the team out of his own will, stating he had too much personal work to focus on the project. As a result of this, we have decided to use the “shinbi” player model from paragon as our placeholder model going forward until we find a new character artist.
And overall, things have been progressing slowly but steadily.

I’ve started working on things myself semi-actively again as well, and its been fun experimenting with the things unreal engine 4 has to offer.

1541965773723.png

Since October came and went, I feel like you guys deserve a small Halloween treat, so I spend the past week or so working on this:

(I had another more fun idea, but making blacklights in unreal engine is harder than I thought it would’ve been)

Apart from me working on things, Darky also has been working hard on things, apparently also making a HQ building for the team….

And finally Leroy has worked on his Pontiac a bit:

This month, Tzicky has been working hard porting his movement stuff back into the main branch, with… some success, well, not really…

On the other hand, I’ve been playing around with the Discord Rich Presence stuff, which you may or may not have seen yet. In case you’ve missed it, it looks somewhat like this:

With this block of code behind it:
1541966530621.png
Which was fun to work on, al be it that the stuff discord provided as an example occasionally felt like not working at all…

You know, if you told me 2 years ago, that I would be working on my own game alongside people I would come to call good friends, among them some Russians, some Koreans, some Americans, and some whom I still have no clue where the bloody hell they’re from.

I would probably tell you to stop dreaming and get back to work.

Working on this project, has made me realize how much things I simply don’t know.
I’ve worked on games before, but I’ve never had to work on something on THIS scale before.

And quite frankly, I’ll admit that most of the time, I don’t know what the hell I’m doing either.
I can pretend to know everything, but at the end of the day I’m only human.

So, in light of me not knowing a LOT of things, a while ago I had decided to hit the books again…. With mixed results so far, short version: University SUUUUUUCKS. But you meet cool people.

What has that to do with the project you may ask? Well, nothing really, I just felt the need to point out that I’m human.
You’re human. And everyone on the team is human as well, Except Darky… not sure he’s even real to begin with…
Point being, we all make mistakes, we all have flaws, no one is perfect.

And I want to be honest with you guys, I’ve overestimated this project. On top of that, I also am not the best leader for this project. Hell, I can barely organize my own life from time to time.

But, despite all that, you, the person reading this, you’re probably some one I will never meet. You have decided to take time out of your day to come and read me yap about this dream that I am working on.
And if that’s not the beauty of the internet, I do not know what is.

Some may not be aware of this, but I do read a lot of things, I frequently browse the apb forums, the Russian blog posts, and the other corners of the internet to see what people are writing about the project.

Some of you are positive and are excited, others are critical and analytical, others are straight up trolling and are making a joke out of things and you know? I’m happy for all of that, including the people who doubt the project, those who call it a scam and those who want us to close the project down.
Why am I happy about the negativity?

Because at the end of the day, it means that there is a goal. It means we have something to prove and it means we have to make the best game we can make.
Without you, the person reading this, phoenix would never be a thing.
I would’ve archived this into a folder, only to delete it a few months later.

I would’ve continued working 9 to 5 making mobile games that aren’t even that fun to play.

And, I wouldn’t have met you all, I wouldn’t have met
Dickey who is passionate about making YouTube videos and is probably reading this without reading the post beforehand like the amazing guy he is.

I wouldn’t have met Leroy, who is an amazingly talented 3d artist and wants to move around the world but has been stuck in his own home country.

I wouldn’t have met Darky, who’s an amazing 3d artist whose portfolio is jaw dropping good.

I certainly wouldn’t have met JG, Annily and Omocha and have so much fun talking about the old days. Nor would I have had the chance to talk to you all, the APB community who has kept it going for more than 8 years now….

In short, from the bottom of my heart, you’re awesome.

With Love,

Luna.