Suggested artstyle

koalathe_bear

Field Runner
Nov 17, 2017
It's probably way too early to suggest something like this, but I feel this is really needed.

I feel that the games art style should be along the lines of something like the images below.
Now I'm not saying you can't do your own style, I just want you guys to steer clear of what G1/RP is doing/has done with their stupid ass instagram filter looking game with over saturated colors.

Mainly focusing on post processing, shaders, and the sky

In this image here you can see what ideal bloom should look like. Not large by any means, and should not cover the whole screen. Only add a nice haze around the edges of things, and give lights a nice clean glow

This is just a suggestion so make the games visuals however you guys like, but if you take this into consideration that'll be great. :D

koalathe_bear

Field Runner
Nov 17, 2017
Was thinking more along the lines of this:

I like the 2nd and 3rd image, but overall the 2nd is my favorite.
I dislike the 1st one because it seems plain and the buildings in the top part of the background seemingly disappear into black fog like APB Reloaded does

Luna

Phoenix Lead Director
Staff member
Developer
Phoenix Lead Director
Programmer
Level Designer
Aug 14, 2017
I like the 2nd and 3rd image, but overall the 2nd is my favorite.
I dislike the 1st one because it seems plain and the buildings in the top part of the background seemingly disappear into black fog like APB Reloaded does
that's not fog, that's just a camera picture set to the light levels of the street, it does that because its trying to not over-expose the shot, which decreases the overall lighting.

koalathe_bear

Field Runner
Nov 17, 2017
that's not fog, that's just a camera picture set to the light levels of the street, it does that because its trying to not over-expose the shot, which decreases the overall lighting.
True as fuck. I actually thought the image was one of those super detailed drawings at first lol. But since you mentioned light levels it makes me think, should a game have widely varying light levels and use an iris effect to adapt when the player looks around, or should a game have no adaptive iris effect, and instead have light levels be more consistent??? I always find the iris effect irritating when play APB: Reloaded or PUBG because everything is either too dark or too bright.

Regenance

Field Runner
Nov 6, 2017
For todays' game engines, we except the unexpected, which means it's 2018 you better work on quality instead of content.

TzickyT

Staff member
Developer
Programmer
Sep 20, 2017
For todays' game engines, we except the unexpected, which means it's 2018 you better work on quality instead of content.
tbh i rather have better quality than content ... if the content isn't good the quality isn't good ...

Blakeinstein

Killing Addict
Donator
Mar 24, 2018
Was thinking more along the lines of this:

I prefer this art style with the dark tones and a retro futuristic look. It has street in it , the feel in it and drives with punch in it.

Dont forget the roadside bars , japanese style and the alleys <3 i'd spend an entire day lying there.